Monday, December 10, 2012


43 Human Dramas
Glass on copper assemblage
Enameling, (glass fused to metal by means of intense heat), was my first serious art medium.  The idea of putting glass grains on copper and fusing them by heat,  and to watch the colors emerge as the piece cooled was utterly fascinating!  It is still fascinating after 40 years working with this ancient art form.  I have explored many of the traditional techniques of enameling; cloisonne, champleve, plique a jour, basse taille, etc.  Today I am interested in the relationship between enamel- copper- heat, especially using firescale,( copper oxide formed as the copper is heated).  I can use just one enamel color and get a range of other colors by the use of firescale.  the glass on copper assemblage in this post utilizes this property.  I had a lot of fun in the process of this wall piece.  It has received several awards in art shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment